Praia Sundy Principe Island
At Praia Sundy, you can lose all sense of time. Awaking to the chatter of forest parrots, you will readjust to nature’s clock, perhaps practicing yoga in the morning sun, relaxing on the beach in the afternoon, dining beneath a sea of stars, before drifting off at night to the lullaby of sea on sand. A place of gentle rhythms and sensuous fragrances, of whales and turtles, forest hikes and cooling swims, it is a place to awaken the senses and free the mind, warmed by the sand between your toes.
The Atlantic Archipelago of São Tomé and Príncipe includes two islands and several islets, among them Bom Bom island. Situated in the Gulf of Guinea, they form together with the neighbouring Island of Pagalú and Bioko, the group of the archipelagos of the Gulf the Guinea, on the African western coast. Hidden away 130 miles off the coast of West Africa, Praia Sundy is a tented luxury hotel at the wild northwest tip of the island of Príncipe. You can reach it by air from Portugal with TAP or STP Airways. A domestic flight from São Tomé international airport operates daily to Príncipe Island. In São Tomé main island, accommodation is provided at the boutique hotel Omali.
Restaurant & Bars
Príncipe is blessed with an abundance of natural produce, its forests filled with fruit and nuts, its waters brimming with tuna and Wahoo. Inspired by this natural larder, our international chefs refine the best of the island’s produce and traditions, creating seasonal menus bursting with original flavours and fresh, organic ingredients. Inspired by the natural riches on the doorstep – tuna and wahoo, passion fruit and pineapple, herbs and spices from our organic plantation farm – Chef Angelo adapts local traditions and tastes to create refined, delicate dishes, with wines carefully selected to complement his flavours.
Dine in the Dark: The ultimate in romantic fine-dining, with chef Angelo showcasing his best signature dishes in a sumptuous tasting menu, paired with wines that perfectly complement his refined use of flavors. After dinner, guests will be take back by buggy to their tented-villa – or on to the Pool Bar if they prefer, for a nightcap or two beneath the moon.
We believe that the people of Príncipe hold the key to the sustainable and responsible development of this remarkable island, as well as to the conservation of its precious biodiversity.
Community engagement, therefore, is absolutely vital. At Sunday Praia, nearly 60%* of our staff come from the island itself, and the remaining 40% from São Tomé, while the oils and creams in your room are all produced by locals at the organic farm we have established at Paciencia. Similarly, most of the food at Praia Sundy has been sourced from products grown and harvested on the island, with many of chef Angelo’s herbs picked from an experimental herb garden we’ve cultivated at Paciencia.
Lying in perfect isolation some 130 miles off the West African coast, Príncipe’s forests shelter an abundance of endemic birds and plants, reptiles and amphibians – little wonder the island is sometimes referred to as Africa’s Galapagos.
But this is no desert island: Príncipe has its people, too, living in the colourful main town, São Antonio, or scattered in pretty fishing villages along the coast. Our goal is to maintain and build harmony between the people and their island, and Praia Sundy is a vital part of that goal, providing a model of sustainable, responsible tourism, with the people of Príncipe involved at its core.